The Town of Essex, Vermont acquired
the old United Pentecostal Church, which was in an extreme
state of disrepair. The project was to adapt the 1840 structure
for use as a community library. The design problem was to
use the space efficiently and to make it handicapped accessible.
Design changes included the addition of an exterior stair
and elevator tower and a mezzanine floor inserted into the
old meeting room. The basement was converted into the children's
library and was rendered in bright primary colors. The main
reading room was designed in period style and is bathed in
natural light from the restored windows.